Friday 5 July 2013

Chocolate Ice Cream



“I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!”
          (Howard Johnson, Billy Moll, and Robert A.K. King)


It’s ice cream time! 

The weather is warm and summer has officially kicked in, so I have decided to start making some of my summertime treats. This week I decided to go with a simple favorite...chocolate ice cream!

A few years ago I got an ice cream maker and it has to be one of my most favorite things that I own. The best thing about making your own ice cream is the fact that you get to decide what ingredients you put in it. You can make somewhat healthy ice cream with just a few ingredients, you can experiment with all sorts of flavors, but personally, I like how I can ensure that my family gets a nut free cool treat. I have included pictures from my most recent chocolate ice cream making adventure and a recipe as well. Enjoy!

Samantha 



Basic Chocolate Ice Cream

You’ll need:
1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
½ cup of packed brown sugar
1 ½ cups whole milk
3 ¼ cups of whipping cream/heavy milk
1 tbsp. of vanilla extract

Day 1

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. 



Using a mixer or a whisk, combine the dry ingredients with the whole milk.


 
Stir in the whipping cream/heavy milk.











                                           Finally stir in the vanilla.



* I usually let the mixture sit in the fridge, covered, overnight so that it gets super cold.

Day 2

After the mixture has been in the fridge overnight, I turn on my ice cream maker and pour the mix into the freezer bowl and let it do its business.


I usually time it for 30 minutes, but I check on it often. Once the mix is thickened and looks like soft serve ice cream, it’s done.


I like my ice cream a little bit firmer so I put the mix into a freezer safe container and let it firm up for a bit, but if you like soft serve, like Nicole does, you can just eat it as is. 









There you have it, simple and very yummy homemade ice cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment