Friday 13 December 2013

Christmas Movies and Music



“On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me: eight Maids a Milking, seven Swans a Swimming, six Geese a Laying, five Golden Rings, four Calling Birds, three French Hens, two Turtle Doves, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.” – Frederic Austin

Music and movies are two things that both Nicole and I love! This week we are both devising lists of our favourite Christmas music and movies. I’ll take the reins for the movies and I’ll let Nicole take over when it comes to music. 

We all know that I am a movie person. If I could just sit on the couch and watch movies all day long I would. Some people are not fans of watching movies more than once, but I love watching my Christmas favourites each year. I’m definitely one for traditions, so every year we always watch certain Christmas movies at Christmas time. The weekend before Christmas we watch Miracle on 34th Street (the original with Natalie Wood) and Holiday Inn (with Fred Astaire), Christmas Eve we watch It’s A Wonderful Life, and then on Christmas Day we watch White Christmas. Those movies are musts for me during the Christmas season. I’ve listed a few others in my must see Christmas movie list as well. 

Samantha 

Our Must See Christmas Movies (in no special order)







Samantha’s List:
Miracle on 34th Street
The Holiday
Holiday Inn
It’s A Wonderful Life
White Christmas
Home Alone
The Family Stone (I’ve seen this movie hundreds of times)
The Santa Claus
Meet Me I St. Louis
Elf 










Nicole’s List: (Some of mine are repeats of Samantha's but I couldn't leave them out!)

The Gift of Love (1978)
White Christmas
Holiday Inn
Meet Me In St. Louis
Miracle on 34th Street
The Shop Around the Corner
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
Frosty the Snowman
A Charlie Brown Christmas












I Love Christmas Music! Especially the classic carols such as 'The First Noel', 'Joy to the World', 'God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen' and my all time favourite 'What Child is This'. In our house we're not really allowed to play Christmas music until December; sometimes I think it would be fun to play Christmas music all year round...but then it wouldn't be quite so exciting or special when Christmas came around, would it?
Not only do I love listening to Christmas music, I also love playing it on the piano. Now, I'm not an amazing pianist by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy plunking away, and I'm at least good enough that you can tell what song I'm playing. Sometimes, if there's nobody else at home, I might even sing along!

Nicole

Our Favourite Christmas Music (in no special order)


Nicole's Favourite Christmas Music:
“A Prayer for Every Year” – Plus One
“King Jesus is His Name” – Larnelle Harris
“Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song)” – Amy Grant
“White Christmas” – Bing Crosby
“My Favorite Things” – Tony Bennett
“Mary Did You Know”– Kathy Mattea
“This is the Time” – Michael Bolton
“This Christmas (Joy to the World)” – TobyMac
“A Strange Way to Save the World” – 4Him
“The Christmas Song” – Natalie Cole

Samantha’s Favourite Christmas Music:
“Christmas Time” – Backstreet Boys
“Last Christmas” – Wham!
“All I Want for Christmas Is You” – Mariah Carey
“The Magic of Christmas Day” – Celine Dion
“The First Noel” – Frank Sinatra
“Adeste Fideles”– Frank Sinatra
“Ding A Ling, the Christmas Bell” – Lynn Anderson
“Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” – Lynn Anderson
“A Whistle and a Whisker Away” – Lynn Anderson
“It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” – Andy Williams

Favourite 'Generic' Christmas Songs:
"What Child Is This?"
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
"We Three Kings"
"Silver Bells"
"A Holly Jolly Christmas"
"Silent Night"
"O Holy Night"
"Angels We Have Heard On High"
"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"
"It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas"
"Carol of the Bells"
"Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!"

And of course..."The Twelve Days of Christmas"!

No comments:

Post a Comment