Friday 4 October 2013

Favourite Books



“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
- C.S.Lewis


So far we’ve covered children’s books and book series and now comes everything else in between! 

I love reading all sorts of books. I especially like good girly love stories, biographies, and self-help books. When it comes to fiction, I am a big fan of Emily Giffin’s novels. Her novels are just the perfect escape when you want to cozy up on the couch and sip a cup of tea. My personal favourites of hers are Baby Proof and Love the One You’re With; they have just the right amount of romance, drama, fun, and reality. 


Another genre of books that I enjoy is biographies. Maybe it’s the film buff in me, but I just love reading about old movie stars and how they became famous; I enjoy having a personal glimpse into to their lives. There are some really good biographies out there written about Montgomery Clift, Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, Grace Kelly, and Sandra Dee; all of the books that I’ve read about them are the type that you can’t put down.


Finally, another type of book that I really like to read is the self-help book. I try to be as positive as I can, but sometimes I need some help and coaching to be more positive and optimistic. One of my absolute favorite books ever is Bethenny Frankel’s A Place of Yes; I must have read this book at least 20 or so times in the past two years since it was released. A Place of Yes has helped me a lot and has helped to motivate me and make me an active, brave, and focused person. I recommend it to everyone that I can; it’s a must read for sure!

I hope that you enjoy my favourites!

Samantha 


I, too, love reading! I'm not very good at putting my book down though, and have definitely been known to read a whole novel in one sitting; once I've started, I'm usually hooked and can’t wait to find out what happens next!

As for my favourite books…
I'm a big Jane Austen fan. I love her well known Pride and Prejudice but one of my favourites is definitely her lesser known Persuasion. Another one of my favourite authors is Louisa May Alcott. I love Little Women, and it’s sequels Good Wives, Little Men and Jo’s Boys. I also really like her book The Inheritance




If I had to choose a favourite genre of books, I’d probably have to go with Historical Fiction. Recently I read The Chief Factor’s Daughter which was really cool because it took place in my home-town of Victoria, in the mid-1800’s. I also recently read, and really enjoyed, the “Mark of the Lion” Trilogy by Francine Rivers (A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, As Sure as the Dawn) which takes place in the Roman Empire around 100AD.




Finally, the Math nerd in me has to add a really great book I read on probability…Struck by Lightning by Jeffrey S. Rosenthal. You don’t have to be a Math genius to enjoy this book (or even like Math for that matter); it’s all about probabilities of regular, everyday stuff like email spam, opinion polls, crime statistics, poker hands and lottery jackpots!

Happy Reading!     


- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment